Monday, May 18, 2015

Forms: Survey

Perhaps now more than any other assignment, the tutorials and sample websites came in handy. It took me a while to make it through last week's spreadsheet because it had been so long since I used one. The tutorials helped me recover the basics. This week, however, the tutorials and help links helped me survive. I did fine when it came to creating the form; that was easy. However, when it came to translating it to the spreadsheet and calculating the results, the tools REALLY came into play. I found the edtech VISION website the most helpful, because I chose to do a survey rather than a quiz. I didn't quite understand why I had to make two spreadsheets, one for responses and one for calculations, but its step-by-step instructions helped me understand why to separate and the ease of separating them.

I chose to share my form with my sister (she took it as Tapanga Lawrence and also marked that she had no sibling, which is hurtful). She was able to coach me long on the spreadsheet, so I wanted to show her how I could take it a step further and throw a self-grading form in with it. She was not familiar with Forms, so it was nice to switch roles and actually be able to teach her something. It was also neat that as she was taking the survey, I was able to watch her responses pop up on my spreadsheet and see the results automatically calculated. I can definitely see how Forms is a great tool for teachers who have the ability to quiz their students online. To view my spreadsheet, click: here

Forms allows teachers to gather data and results in different ways. By linking up with Spreadsheets, results from Forms can be presented in logical, organized data that both teacher and students can follow along. Just like with Spreadsheets, Forms qualifies with the standard that teaches students the "Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas," and teaches the students to "Make strategic use of digital media and visual displays of data to express information and enhance understanding of presentations" (p. 117). Forms allows both teachers and students the ability to see grades and assignments in a timely manner, and allows the results to be organized so that there is not any doubt or question whether certain grades or assignments were calculated.

1 comment: